Oyo State Police Command has confirmed the abduction of two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) Idi-Ayunre, while also debunking false reports circulating on social media alleging a mass abduction within Ibadan and surrounding communities.
The incident occurred on Monday, 19th May, 2026, at about 6:00 p.m., when armed men reportedly invaded the premises of CRIN at Idi-Ayunre and abducted two staff members to an unknown destination.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, confirmed this in a statement issued to newsmen on Wednesday in Ibadan.
DSP Olayinka said the distress report was lodged at the Idi-Ayunre Divisional Police Headquarters by the institution’s Chief Security Officer, prompting an immediate response from Police operatives who visited the scene for an on-the-spot assessment.
Preliminary investigations according to him, revealed that approximately six armed men carried out the operation before fleeing into nearby forested areas with the victims.
Following the development, the Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, CP Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, has ordered the immediate deployment of tactical and intelligence teams, including operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad, to ensure the safe rescue of the victims and the arrest of those responsible.
The Command spokesman stated that intensive bush-combing and coordinated search operations were subsequently launched across surrounding locations linked to the incident.
He said during one of the operations on Tuesday, 20th May, 2026, at about 8:10 a.m., Police operatives intercepted two suspicious persons identified as Shehu and Abubakar.
Preliminary interrogation reportedly led the suspects to volunteer information about the hideout of other members of the kidnapping syndicate.
However, while approaching the suspected hideout, the Police team came under heavy gunfire attack from armed men believed to be members of the gang.
The operatives responded professionally, repelled the attack, and successfully extracted the suspects, who are currently in the custody of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad for further investigation and intelligence gathering.
The Police Command noted that ongoing operations are yielding actionable intelligence and assured residents that efforts are being intensified to rescue the victims unhurt and apprehend all perpetrators.
Reacting to reports alleging another mass abduction in Abanla community and other parts of Ibadan, the Command spokesman described such claims as false, misleading, and capable of causing unnecessary panic among residents.
DSP Olayinka said aside from the already reported CRIN incident, no other kidnapping or mass abduction case had been reported anywhere within Ibadan metropolis or its environs.
The Command warned media organisations, bloggers, and social media influencers against disseminating unverified security reports, stressing that inaccurate information could undermine public confidence and distract security agencies from genuine emergencies.
The Oyo State Police Command reaffirmed its commitment to safeguarding lives and property across the State and urged members of the public to remain calm, vigilant, and supportive of ongoing security operations by providing timely and credible information to security agencies.









Got a Questions?
Find us on Socials or Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.