Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK), have recorded a major operational success against Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (BH/ISWAP) terrorists during coordinated offensives across the Sambisa Forest and Mandara Mountains axis.
The operation, conducted under Operation DESERT SANITY V on Thursday, January 22, 2026, saw terrorists attempt a coordinated ambush using roadside improvised explosive devices (RSIEDs) and sustained gunfire.
Media Information Officer, Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, gave the update in a statement issued on Friday in Maiduguri.
Lt. Col. Sani, however, said the troops of Sector 1 swiftly countered the attack with superior firepower, overwhelming the insurgents.
He confirmed that 10 terrorists were neutralised, including two senior commanders identified as Basulhu and Ubaida.
According to him, a follow-up exploitation of the area led to the recovery of a cache of weapons and logistics, including three AK-47 rifles, one pump-action rifle, five motorcycles, two hand grenades, two Baofeng radios, 12 AK-47 magazines, a rocket-propelled grenade charger, detonation cords, batteries, bandoliers, camel bags, iron bars, and various IED-making accessories.
In a separate engagement along another offensive axis, Lt. Col. Sani said the troops of Sector 1 made contact with terrorists around the Malkube area, where two additional insurgents were neutralised.
He said further exploitation resulted in the recovery of more AK-47 rifles, ammunition and communication equipment, with no casualties recorded on the side of the troops.
Earlier in the day, another battle group from Sector 1 intercepted BH/ISWAP elements attempting to infiltrate Nigerian territory from Cameroon through the Galakura axis. The terrorists were forced to retreat in disarray, abandoning equipment and supplies. Two motorcycles were recovered during the clearance operation, further restricting the insurgents’ mobility and operational reach.
The military noted that troop morale and combat efficiency remain high, adding that operations will be sustained across the entire North East region to deny terrorists freedom of action.
The Military High Command commended the troops for their gallantry and professionalism, urging them to maintain the current operational tempo.









Got a Questions?
Find us on Socials or Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.