President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Tuesday night held a crucial meeting with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, amid rising tension over a planned nationwide protest scheduled for Wednesday, December 17, 2025.
The closed-door meeting, which took place at the State House, was led by NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero. Also present were the Chairman of the Progressive Governors’ Forum and Governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodimma; Governor of Edo State, Monday Okpebholo; Governor of Kebbi State, Dr. Nasir Idris; and the Minister of State for Labour, Hon. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha.
Although details of the discussions were not officially disclosed, the meeting was confirmed by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, in a post on his verified X handle.
The engagement comes just hours before the commencement of the NLC’s proposed nationwide protest, which the labour union says is aimed at drawing attention to the country’s worsening security situation.
The Nigeria Labour Congress had earlier explained that the protest was not politically motivated but driven by the daily hardship and insecurity confronting Nigerians across the country.
Speaking with journalists in Gombe State on Saturday after a meeting with Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya on labour-related issues, Comrade Ajaero stressed that insecurity has reached an alarming level, affecting every segment of society.
“The protest is to demand decisive government action against insecurity because this problem affects every Nigerian, irrespective of status or occupation,” Ajaero said.
According to him, workers, families and investors are increasingly exposed to violent crimes, including banditry and kidnapping, which he described as alien to Nigeria’s core values.
“Our planned protest is to call attention to the impact of insecurity on investors and workers, who are kidnapped daily and sometimes killed,” he stated.
Ajaero warned that the unchecked spread of violent crimes was damaging the economy and discouraging both local and foreign investment, making national recovery more difficult.
Recalling a recent incident in Kebbi State, he said, “The person killed was a teacher, while the kidnapped children included those of workers.”
“So we are asking the government to help fish out the perpetrators and put an end to this menace,” he added.
He further explained that the protest was intended to reassure the government that Nigerians were ready to support firm and decisive action against criminals.
“Government should know their hands are being strengthened to do the needful because Nigerians are saying this is wrong and must stop,” Ajaero said.
The NLC president also called for collective resistance against kidnapping for ransom, warning that the practice was eroding national values and social cohesion. He noted that workers are often the worst hit, as many victims lack the resources to pay ransom and are forced into debt or public appeals for help.
“It is important for workers to join the call to end insecurity, unless government wants to give us security allowance to pay ransom,” he said.
“We don’t have guns or cutlasses to chase criminals; protest is our only voice to Nigerians and the international community,” Ajaero added.
He also urged the federal government to strengthen social safety nets, arguing that the newly approved minimum wage alone cannot address the current level of economic hardship without additional support measures.









Got a Questions?
Find us on Socials or Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.