Nigerian Army repel terrorist attack, arrest suspects, rescue victims in North East

Troops of the Joint Task Force ( North East) , Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK), have recorded significant operational successes across the theatre, including the thwarting of a major terrorist attack, arrest of suspected collaborators, rescue of kidnapped victims, and surrender of terrorist associates.

In a major development, troops of OPHK deployed at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Gajibo successfully thwarted a coordinated attack by a large number of suspected Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists mounted on motorcycles and armed with support weapons.

Media Information Officer, Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, confirmed this in a statement issued to newsmen on Wednesday in Maiduguri

Lt. Col. Una said the terrorists were detected as they advanced towards the town from multiple directions.

He said the troops responded swiftly with heavy firepower, including mortar engagements, forcing the attackers to withdraw in disarray.

According to him, subsequent exploitation led to the recovery of ammunition and combat accessories. No casualties were recorded among troops.

“In related operations, troops of OPHK in conjunction with the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) operatives arrested two suspected Boko Haram collaborators in Gubio town. The suspects, both cattle rearers, are currently in custody and undergoing further investigation.

“Similarly, troops, acting on credible intelligence obtained from a surrendered terrorist associate, arrested a suspected logistics supplier identified as Umar Ahmadu in Gwoza. The suspect reportedly confessed to supplying items to terrorists on multiple occasions and is currently under interrogation.

“Earlier, a 17-year-old family member of a terrorist surrendered to troops along the Gwoza–Limankara axis after escaping from a terrorist enclave in the Mandara Mountains.

“Preliminary findings indicate that sustained military pressure and lack of basic necessities within the enclave contributed to his decision to surrender. Further demonstrating operational effectiveness, troops of OPHK intercepted and rescued two male victims who had been kidnapped from Mafa town.

“The victims, who escaped from captivity under poor visibility conditions, have been handed over for further medical evaluation and necessary action.

The military spokesman said these coordinated operations highlight the sustained pressure being mounted on terrorist elements, targeting their mobility, logistics networks, and support structures.

He said: “It is important to state that troops continue to maintain high vigilance and an aggressive operational posture to forestall any threat within the theatre of OPHK.

“The Joint Task Force reassures the public of its unwavering commitment to sustaining ongoing operations aimed at defeating terrorism and restoring lasting security, peace and economic stability across the North East region.