17-Year-old electrocuted in Lagos while playing football (Photo)

A 17-year-old has died in Lagos state after being electrocuted while playing football. The teenager identified as Fawaz Oseni, was electrocuted while playing football with his friends at their home located on Lawal Street, Oregun, Ikeja, Lagos on May 26. According to Guardian, late Fawaz and his friends were playing when one of them kicked the ball and it landed on the roof of a house in the area. The SSS 3 student attempted to retrieve the ball but was electrocuted. Investigation showed that the electrocution might be as a result of illegal electrical connections in the area. Electricity testers were placed on the wall and they showed voltage and discharged electric shock, especially during rainfalls without being rectified. Recounting the sad incident, Funmilayo who is the deceased’s mother said; “That fateful day was the first time the children played football in the compound. The boys kicked the ball on the rooftop and it got stuck, they carried an aluminum ladder in an attempt to retrieve the ball. My son was shocked while on the ladder and he started crying for help, no one could help him, but someone got there to pull the hand of his friend. His friend, who held the ladder when my son climbed the ladder told me that Fawaz was not putting on shoes when he climbed, but he was wearing one. When Fawaz’ s younger brother called me and said, ‘Mommy!!! Come and see Fawaz, I ran there and saw them both on the floor. I called for help and neighbours came with water to resuscitate them, but the way I saw him, I knew that he had given up the ghost. We bought milk and forced it down their throats, while the other boy swallowed his, my son could not. We rushed them to Divine Hospital, where my son was confirmed dead by the doctor on duty. That is how I lost my 17-year-old son.” Speaking further, the distraught mum said; “The people continue using the light unbothered. The wife of the owner of the house came along with her daughter-in-law; none of the children of the owner of the building came to visit me. My brothers-in-law came around and were angry, they disconnected the light on Sunday, May 28, 2023, and warned them not to reconnect it.” When contacted, Chairman, Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC), Kola Adesina, said the case was never reported to the Distribution company (DisCo), but promised to deal with the situation. Giving update on the incident, he said “We went there immediately on Monday and we discovered that they have been stealing electricity in that area, there was also wrong connection.”